In the Beginning
The company was originally established in 1984 and was known as the National Property Academy. The primary aim of the business was to train estate agents in preparation for the board exam. Over time its management has changed, and it has evolved to be a comprehensive training provider.
Developments over the Years
- In 1994, the Academy approached Midrand Campus (today known as Midrand Graduate Institute), a privately owned university, to incorporate the NPA into its business.
- In 1995 a new company was established called CPMD, The College of Property Management and Development, a product of Midrand Campus.
- In 1996 Midrand Campus became a subsidiary of the Educor group, which was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange and was arguably the largest listed educational group.
- In 1996 CPMD started offering a variety of other property programmes still focusing on training estate agents to become industry professionals.
- In 2000 CPMD was taken over by one of its long-standing lecturers and manager at the time, the Current MD and owner, Graeme Jay.
- From 2000-2005 Graeme Jay developed a variety of other programmes drawing on his own formal education in law and finance.
- 2008 – CPMD buys its own training premises in Norwood, Johannesburg.
- 2008 – To Date – Various qualifications and accreditations on offer.
Through Graeme’s involvement in various other institutions CPMD has gained vast experience in its primary fields, and has close associations with these organisations:
- ASHCO – Alexandra Social Housing Company
- WITS University
- WITS Business School
- The Estate Agents Affairs Board
- The Institute of Estate Agents of South Africa
- Kaya FM Radio
- Property Week
- Property Power
CPMD aspires to remain focused in its “areas of expertise”, but will however continue to be a needs driven organisation. Therefore knowledge gaps and opportunities will continuously be sought.
We look forward to the next 20 years as a provider of high quality education and tuition!